Sunday, September 13, 2015

When Home School Gives You Lemons... You Make Lemonade

Raising Iowa Lemonade

Our first week of home school flew by and things went fairly well for being first timers. Phew!! I was prepared for the challenge but needed to step up my game and gain control at different times. My patience was pushed to the max and I felt like home-schooling was crazy for a second there. However, we survived and I am confident in my decision.

 I've received an abundance of support from friends and family as well as other parents who home school. It's really only as complicated as you make it. We begin each lesson with a prayer and thanking Jesus for this opportunity and asking him to utilize our time together.

Raising Iowa Lemonade
Raising Iowa Lemonade

We are following a fairly simple curriculum that I was given by a friend of mine. Each month during the school year we focus on a different set of numbers, letters, a shape and color.  "The world is our oyster" really.. we can get creative and be on the move which is what I intend to do. The fact my children aren't sitting in a class room allows for a whole different learning experience -being able to teach on the go. That being said, there will be time for classroom style teaching as well.

One of our focuses was the letter "L"  The girls have a love for ladybugs,  it's sort of a theme in their bedroom as well so I thought it would be fun to start with our ladybug project.

Raising Iowa Lemonade

Later we discussed the shape, color, and use for lemons.  We read this super cute book, and then the kids (Deacon included) got to make lemonade. He isn't quite old enough to do everything but I involve him in our lessons as much as possible.

It was a fun (messy) little project that left my entire floor sticky but it was well worth it! Deacon is obsessed with lemons...but still gets the sour face... love it!
Raising Iowa Lemonade


When life gives you lemons... make some lemonade!
Raising Iowa Lemonade

Hope y'all had a fantastic weekend!! We got to experience some beautiful early fall weather.

xo
-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment